May 22 2013 Latest news:
Friday, April 27, 2012
Family escape from blaze just a day after returning from holiday
Firefighters are reminding people not to leave dishwashers running overnight following a fire in Faversham in the early hours of this morning.
Two fire engines were sent to Churchill Way at 4.12am after the family phoned 999 and got out of their home.
The family had returned from holiday yesterday and as the dishwasher had not been used, decided to run it on a rinse cycle before going to bed.
Fortunately the woman, who was suffering jet lag, had got up to put some washing on and could hear their dog barking.
She went into the kitchen and was confronted with a strange electrical smell so woke her husband.
He immediately turned the electric supply off, opened the dishwasher door and saw the heating element glowing. He threw a bucket of cold water over the element but as the kitchen was beginning to fill with smoke the husband, wife and their teenage son left their home, closing the kitchen door behind them. They then phoned the fire service.
Faversham Watch manager Wayne Burney said: “Luckily the family managed to escape safely because the fire was discovered early and only slight damage was caused to a kitchen cupboard.
Had it gone unnoticed for any longer the end result could have been very different, especially as the family were in bed when the fire started.
”Please don’t leave the washing machine, tumble dryer or dishwasher running overnight or while you are out. They are a fire risk because of their high wattage motors.
“Make sure you close all internal doors before going to bed, it might buy you the few extra minutes you need to escape in the event of a fire and will help stop the fire spreading and most importantly, fit working smoke alarms on every floor of your home.”
News, sport, video, blogs and local information
where you live...
max temp: 15°C
min temp: 7°C
No current major incidents